Full results are in for New Japan Pro Wrestling’s G-1 Climax tournament finale at Ryogoku hall in Tokyo.
In the main event Kota Ibushi defeated SANADA, earning the right to challenge for the title of his choice in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom at the Tokyo Dome in January.
Ibushi makes good on his ambition to ‘become God’ by becoming only the third man to win two G-1 tournaments back to back, having already become the first person to make three finals in a row.
The match itself was an instant classic which started with some feeling out with Ibushi and SANADA each seeming to want to win the match in their opponent’s style. The ‘Golden Phoenix’ attempted to take SANADA’s more methodical approach while ‘Cold Skull’ was more expansive than he had been so far in the tournament.
This led to an exciting match with Ibushi’s heavily-taped leg, already injured following a series of wars in the tournament and especially damaged after a kicking contest with Taichi on Friday being a key plot element. The match climaxed with a flurry of reversals and finishers, including an amazingly close near fall from a SANADA bridge before Ibushi finally put SANADA away with two Kamigoye knees.
With his historic win, Ibushi seals his spot at the top of the Wrestle Kingdom card, while SANADA once again falls short in the main event spot. ‘Cold Skull’ will take some comfort from the fact that he likely does have an IWGP title opportunity to come after his win over champion Tetsuya Naito earlier in the tournament.
- Suzuki-gun (Taichi, Zack Sabre Jr., Douki & El Desperado) defeated Chaos (Toru Yano, Tomohiro Ishii, Yoshi-Hashi & Hirooki Goto)
- Los Ingobernables de Japon (Hiromu Takahashi & Shingo Takagi) defeated Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Yoshinobu Kanemaru)
- Taguchi Japan (Hiroshi Tanahashi, Juice Robinson, Jeff Cobb & Master Wato) defeated Bullet Club (Gedo, Jay White, Kenta & Taiji Ishimori)
- Will Ospreay & Great O-Khan w/ Bea Priestley defeated Sho & Kazuchika Okada
- Bullet Club (EVIL & Yujiro Takahashi) defeated Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI)
- Kota Ibushi defeated SANADA to win the G-1 Climax 30 Tournament